Mobile phones are now considered the most necessary for people of every age. People can use it to attract other people and do business, freelancing, home-based online work, and many more. Children use it for their entertainment and some help with their homework. So people of every age use it for their purpose, but their life seems to get stopped if their mobile phones have a problem.
Going for a mobile repair at a shop is only sometimes possible. So, what to do if your mobile stops working for some reason? How do you identify the type of problem with your mobile so that you can meet its specific need? A multimeter is the solution here.
What is a digital multimeter?
A digital multimeter is an electrical device that helps to check malfunctioning electrical equipment. They can also be used to check different components of mobile phones and identify their type of fault. The mobile phone technicians also use the digital multimeter to check the working of the mobile phones, but if you want it to be done on your own, you have to know about the basics of the procedure.
Why is there a need to check mobile phones?
Sometimes, we keep going with this misconception that we only need to check on our electrical appliances and items like mobile phones once they get into serious trouble. And because of this attitude, we create more chances for our appliances to get some unrepairable problem.
This guide is helpful for those with some issues with their mobile phones but need to know how to start and proceed with the checking procedure. But it is double beneficial for those interested to check that all of their mobile components are doing well and there is no hidden fault in them.
How to check mobile components with a digital multimeter
You only need to arrange a few things for this work because only the digital multimeter is required. You must arrange the digital multimeter and sit with a mobile phone with all your attention and proper guidelines.
Do not forget to wear protective gloves because the electricity involved requires more safety, so ensure your safety at all levels and start the work.
How to check mobile components with a digital multimeter ( brief guide)
Mobile phone battery:
The battery is the most important component of the mobile phone as it is impossible to turn ON the phone if it has no battery. A charged battery drives the electrons from the circuit and produces electricity upon which the mobile operates. The battery percentage gets down with the decreasing energy of the electrons. A battery with a specific energy in it is working well. To check the condition of your mobile phone battery, you have to follow the following steps.
- Set the digital multimeter at DC voltage settings by turning its selection regulator.
- Attach the digital multimeter with the mobile phone.
- If the results come between 3.5 and 4V, your battery does not fault it.
- If the results are a big difference from the optimum value, the battery must charge.
- Charge the battery and repeat the whole procedure.
- If it gives the same results as the uncharged battery, the battery has become faulty.
Microphone of mobile phone:
MEMS microphones are present in Android phones; these are also called electric condensers. The minimal amount of energy is required by them, which is provided by the mobile phone battery. If the microphones are not working correctly, then you can check it with the digital multimeter by following these steps:
- Set the digital multimeter in the buzzer mode.
- Join the digital multimeter with the mobile phone.
- If the digital multimeter screen’s value is between 600 and 1800 ohms, your microphone is working correctly.
- If the result fluctuates from the actual value and you do not hear a beep sound from the digital multimeter, the microphone has become faulty and needs to be replaced by a new one.
Mobile phone Speaker:
It is considered the second most crucial mobile phone component after the battery. These small components are used to drive the sound in your mobile. It operates when the electric current flows, produced by a magnetic field through an electromagnet in its metal coil. You can check the condition of your mobile phone speaker by using the digital multimeter.
- Please turn on the digital multimeter and set it on buzzer mode
- Attach the digital multimeter to your mobile phone.
- See the screen of the digital multimeter for the results
- Your speaker does not fault it if the results come in between 25 to 35 ohms.
- But if the results differ greatly from the appropriate value, they need a replacement.
Vibrator of the mobile phone:
Most people keep their mobile phones in vibration mode, which means that whenever they receive a call or a message, their mobile phone will give a vibration sense by which they will get to know that they have received a message or a call on their mobile phone. If you want to test whether the vibrator of your mobile phone is working correctly or not, you can follow these steps.
- Set the digital multimeter on the buzzer mode
- Attach the digital multimeter to the mobile phone
- Now check the digital screen of the multimeter for the results
- If the final results are between 8 to 16 ohms, then it means there is no problem with the vibrator of your mobile phone.
- If the results fluctuate from this range, then there is a problem with the motor of your mobile phone, or you have to change the vibrator.
There are so many components in your mobile phone, including the card level parts, chip level small parts, and the components like keypad, speaker, microphone, vibrator, earpiece, battery, connector battery, and so many others. It is easy to check any of these parts using the digital multimeter. For this, you need to know about the proper usage of the multimeter, and with this kind of brief guideline, you can check any of the mobile components on your own without visiting any technician.